Translate

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Chocolate cake


This chocolate cake recipe is by Margaret Fulton a well known Australian cookery writer which I obtained from a children's book. 

I made the chocolate version and it is has a very rich chocolate taste and it is moist too!

You can double the portion and make a layered cake as the single layer is not a tall cake.

Recipe
125 gm butter softened ( I used unsalted)
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk

Method
Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin
I used my 6 inch cake tin
Preheat oven to 170 c
Use the electric beater to beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla till pale and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time n beat until well combined.
I used a spatula to fold in the flour and milk until just combined.
Transfer the mixture into the tin and spread evenly and bake for 45-50 minutes. 
I used 40 mins.
At about 20 minutes , I tented the cake with a piece of aluminum foil in case the cake gets too dark on the surface.
Use a toothpick or skewer and insert in the centre to check doneness. If it comes out clean it is baked.
Leave the cake in tin for ten minutes and then remove the cake from tin to cool on wire rack. Remove the paper wrappings also.
In addition, I made marzipan roses n hearts for decoration as I made it into a Valentine's Day cake.

Butter cream icing recipe ( I haven't tried)
125 gm butter softened 
1/2 cups icing sugar sifted
1/2 tablespoons milk

Use an electric mixer beat the butter until very pale.
Add the icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of the milk n beat until light and fluffy.
Add the remaining milk if needed for consistency.

To make chocolate icing, add 1/3 cup cocoa to the icing sugar.

Before bake

After bake 

Marzipan paste


The following shows how to make the roses 
1. Make colored marzipan and cut out 3 pcs of circles. Place in overlapping style.

2. Roll from the edge towards you

3. Roll until the end

4. Finished rolling

5. Cut using a thread 



Roses formed 

Stick the roses onto green marzipan leaves.
Stick to cake using apricot jam glaze.

Enjoy Valentine's  Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment