Translate

Sunday 20 September 2015

Chicken rice



I was thinking of cooking healthier food for my hubby to eat. So I thought about cooking steamed chicken. Then I also thought why not have chicken flavoured rice as well? 

Flipping through my recipe books I found the the rice recipe from local chef Pang Nyuk Yoon's cookbook  Reviving Local Dialect Cuisines



Following is my slightly adapted version
Recipe 
3 cups of rice rinsed ( original 500gm)
4 cloves garlic skin on
3 tbsp cooking oil ( original chicken oil)
1 small pc old ginger
4 pcs pandan leaves 
600 ml chicken stock from boiling chicken 
But I don't have so I used my leftover 
100 ml Swanson chicken stock topped up with water to 600 ml and mixed in 1 teaspoon of maggi concentrated chicken stock 
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp chicken seasoning powder (omitted)

Method
1. Rinse the rice n drain.
2. Use a knife n flatten the garlic on the chopping board
3. Use a wok and heat up the oil and fry the garlic, ginger and pandan leaves. Then add the rice and stir fry until fragrant.
3. Pour the rice into electric rice cooker n add in the chicken stock and salt.
Cook as usual.

Fry garlic ginger n pandan leaves

Fry with rice

Cook it

Chicken rice cooked

The rice is just nice! Not oily and light chicken flavoured

The steamed chicken recipe is from
1 dish 2 flavours cookbook by another famous chef Patsie Cheong


This is my plate of steamed chicken mid joints

Ingredients 
Part 1
8 piece of mid joint chicken - she used 5 pcs chicken wings cut into 2
Sprinkle of salt and white pepper
1 tsp white sesame oil

Part 2 sauce ingredients 
3 pcs of spring onion I cut into about 1 inch lengths
1 small pc of ginger sliced 
( original is 60g minced ginger n 40 g spring onion chopped)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp huatiao wine ( replaced shaoxing wine)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup broth ( I used Swanson)
1/2 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce 
1 tsp corn flour 

Method 
1 rinse the chicken pcs n pat dry 
2. Mix with part 1 salt n pepper n sesame oil
3. place on a plate for steaming
4. Mix ingredients in part 2 into a bowl
5. Pour over the plate of chicken 
6. Place in steamer n steam for 15 minutes.
7. Serve with chicken rice or plain rice 

I served my rice with cherry tomatoes and side dish of stir fry oyster sauce xiaobaicai.

Steaming chicken in my wok

Yummy chicken rice!

Happy cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment