Translate

Saturday 6 February 2016

Salted egg yolk cookies with bak kwa

I first read the recipe from this blog


I then doubled the recipe but I used only 4 salted egg yolks. I also managed to make using only 1/4 tsp baking powder and omitted baking soda.

I also changed by adding bak kwa bits to the middle .

Ingredients
4 salted egg yolks cooked and mashed
Unsalted butter 190 gm softened 
Caster sugar 80 gm
Salt 1/4 tsp
Plain flour 250 gm
Corn flour 20 gm 
1 tablespoon milk powder
Baking powder 1/4 tsp
Bak kwa bits 
Roasted sesame seeds ( white or black)
1 egg for egg wash
Cookie mold for making cookies.

Firstly steam the 4 salted egg yolks for about 5-7 minutes. I didn't reserve the egg white but threw away.
Then mash them. I removed some hard bits. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar with electric beater till sugar is dissolved.

Then add in the salted egg yolks.
Sift the flours and milk powder and salt and add into the butter mixture.
Then mix together with electric beater for a very short while. Then I knead with hands till it forms a dough. 

I find the dough just nice and there is no need to refrigerate.

Line your trays with baking paper.

Take a large piece of baking paper and fold into 2.

Put some dough between n roll out dough to about 5mm.

Use your cookie dough to cut out eg stars or flower shape.

Place on the lined tray. I placed about 12 pcs before I egg washed.
Then I sprinkled sesame seeds on the cookies and place a bak kwa bit in the centre.

Preheat oven to 150 Celsius. Bake for 15 minutes.

Do watch the cookies properly. You want to achieve a golden colour.

Oven temperatures vary for different brands. The second batch when I bake have to use slightly shorter time as oven is already hot.

Below are some photos 
Salted duck eggs

Please remove the black stuff and throw away 

When most outer cover removed 


Wash the egg and crack open to get the yolk

The ingredients - mashed egg yolk, flours, butter n sugar and sesame seeds 

Before bake 

After bake

Keep the cookies in an airtight container after cooling them.

They taste slightly salty and smell very nice!

Happy baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment