Translate

Sunday 27 March 2016

Hot Cross Buns


Today is Easter Sunday. I remember I saw this recipe in Alex Goh cookbook The World of Bread and decided to try making them.

I kneaded the dough by hand. These turned out quite soft.

I replaced the the raisins n mixed peel with a handful of dried cranberries instead.

Recipe
ingredients A
250 gm bread flour
35 gm sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp milk powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tsps instant yeast 

Ingredients B
1 egg
100 ml cold milk

Ingredients C
25 gm unsalted butter softened 

Ingredients  D
70 gm raisins 
30 gm mixed peel 

I replaced with only 40 gm dried cranberries cut into smaller pcs

Topping paste to make the X
50 gm plain flour mixed with 1 tbsp oil and 60 ml water

Method
Mix ingredients A together in a bowl - I used a whisk
Add in B n mix to form a dough 
Then I took it out n placed on my mat
I added in part C butter
Knead till no longer so sticky about 10 mins
Add in cranberries and mix in.
Shape into a ball n use the bowl to cover.
Proof for 45 minutes.
Then mould dough into 4 balls n rest for 15 mins. I used the bowl to cover.
Prepare baking tray with baking paper.
I used 2 trays 
Then form 45-50 gm balls with the dough .
Place the doughs slightly apart on the tray. 
Cover with cling film n let them proof for 45 mins.
Prepare the topping paste.
After proofing , beat an egg with a teaspoon water to use as egg wash.
Preheat oven to 190c.
Egg wash the buns.
Pipe a X on the buns with the topping paste.
Bake for 13 mins.
Remove and cool completely on rack before storing.
Enjoy!!

Cranberries 

After 1st proof

After 2nd proof

Before bake

After bake 
Inside the bun


No comments:

Post a Comment